Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bottle net

 I made this bottle net in April as a prize for an arts and sciences competition at Ceilidh. I made it using linen carpet yarn found at the yarn barn in Lawrence.
 It uses running turk's heads, overhand knots, ocean plaits, and carrick bends in the design. All the knots are coated with Mod Podge to keep them stable and pretty. I coated the knots inside and out before slipping the whole thing off the bottle, cleaning it thoroughly to remove the excess glue, and fixing it on more permanently with the crown sennit around the neck of the bottle. The strap is a four-strand round braid. I love that braid,  and use it frequently.
 I'll be teaching a class this weekend on how to tie most of the knots used to make this bottle net. Very exciting. Anyway, I thought I'd post pictures.

I'm trying to make some knotty jewelry to show off at the class on Sunday, but Kaelyn being awake makes fancy knotwork difficult. She likes to grab things she shouldn't and pull. Trying to finish complicated knots in her presence is frustrating beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment